Monday, May 16, 2011

Into the Blogosphere

This is the initial posting of my new blog, called KramerPost. It has no theme or purporse or art. Presumably all that will come with time. I'll start by posting one of my columns that never ran in the Syracuse Post-Standard because it ran afoul of ... I'm really not sure. Here's the column ... it was supposed to run last August:


Normally I like to keep it light in this space. but now and then a topic pops up of such urgency that the public’s health and safety must take precedence over entertainment. Such is the case today as I’m ethically bound to discuss a life-threatening medical emergency known as canine paraphimosis.
Earlier this month we were on a family vacation in Massachusetts when the smaller of our two shelter dogs, Rondo -- a buff, Chihuhua-like animal -- experienced what veterinary texts describe as the “red rocket” becoming stuck in the” cleared-for-liftoff position.”
To a lesser degree, this is nothing new. During the two years since we adopted Rondo, we’ve learned that the passionate Chihuahua nature isn’t easily tamed, even by neutering. It’s not unusual for us to be watching a ballgame on TV or an episode of Project Runway and look down to see Rondo, all 13-pounds of him, having his way with our larger co-dog, Larry, whose befuddled expression suggests he’s holding a cancelled ticket to see Bret Michaels perform at the Regional Market.
But this time E.T. wouldn’t go home even after several hours. Credit my 10-year-old daughter, Miranda, for realizing that it had gone on long enough.
“Mommy, call the vet,” she said.
At this point astute readers might be wondering where was I during this family drama. Well, I was holed up in a coffee shop in Great Barrington, Mass. with no cell phone reception, thinking deep, important thoughts. The first I learned of the crisis was when I walked outside and received a text message from Leigh that read. “Rondo’s penis is OK,” which confused me a great deal.
I subsequently learned that Leigh had phoned the nearest VCA clinic and was advised to bring in Rondo ASAP. The staff even agreed to keep the clinic open past the 5 p.m. closing time in anticipation of Rondo’s arrival via high-speed minivan. 
Dr. Vicki June, a 1995 graduate of Cornell Veterinary College, drew the short straw. Although accustomed to seeing the condition in horses, Dr. June had never before encountered a prolapsed Chihuahua penis. Untreated, the condition can be lethal as circulation to the effected zone is compromised. Another, more serious side effect, in Chihuahuas, is severe grouchiness.
Upon arrival at the clinic, Rondo was given a steroid shot . Then it was go-time. I don’t know exactly what went on between Dr. June and Rondo in the treatment room, but I can confirm that a commonly sold “personal lubricant” was deployed. “Actually he was a very good patient,” Dr. June reported. 
 We were lucky. It was a happy ending. I mean it was a successful resolution. Rondo came bounding into the lobby wagging his tail -- and nothing else. 

I only hope that this account of our ordeal contributes to heightened public awareness. If you or your Chihuahua  get stuck in party mode for an hour or more, it’s no laughing matter.  Turn down the Bret Michaels and get help immediately.

-30-

11 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jeff!I'm so glad you have a blog. It's gonna be great!
    Geoff Cramer, France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang, jeff, you done got that rondo rocket story out there and i'll bet civilization in syracuse won't change one iota. ken hartnett olathe kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that story! Hilarious! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This column is far too risque for Internet users, much less the Post-Standard circulation area.
    Must you shock the consicence like this, Jeff?
    Must you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the CIA said it found smut on Osama bin Laden's computer, I think this column is what it had in mind. Glad you are now winning fans even beyond Syracuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose I better activate the adult content warning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to laugh again! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee Kramer just realized you weren't in the paper anymore. Saw your commercial on TV and that got me to thinking did I miss something? I did - your column. Sorry it had to end this way for you and us - hope you stick around Syracuse for a while we're not all country hicks with no sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judy,
    Thanks for the comment. All I can say is the editors at the paper seem to have a far dimmer view of their readership than I do. I'm not going anywhere, not for ten more years at least when my youngest graduates high school. By that time I could well be too old and frozen to leave even if I want to. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jeff. Great idea to start a blog and thanks for being willing to share your witty & sharp view of things with Syracusans w/o us having to buy the Post Standard. I think their shabby treatment of you (and their readers), including no announcement whatsoever about your column ending, means many of us will have to return to calling it the "sub standard."

    ReplyDelete